Sunday 17 November 2013

TEACHING IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC

I was truly honored in the fall of 2011 when I was asked to go to Brno, Czech Republic, to teach master classes in piano at the Janacek Academy. The occasion was the 100th anniversary of the birth of my beloved teacher Rudolf Firkusny. He was one of the great pianists, and I was honored  to have had the privilege of studying privately with him for five years, both at his apartment in New York City and his summer home on the Hudson River.

For some time I had wanted to study with him but I was told that he didn't teach. I found out later that he didn't even like teaching! However, after an audition in Stratford, Ontario, where he was appearing on the Summer Music program, I was accepted as his student. I was thrilled and immediately made plans to move to New York

The rest is history. Four years later I was giving my Carnegie Hall recital debut and embarking on a career.
Rudolf remained my dear friend until the end of his life. My husband Andreas and I were in Austria when I heard that he had passed away. He died in Staatsburg, NY, so it was impossible for me to attend his funeral.

 Left to right, Anya, Mme.Maria Vegara, Rudolf Firkusny, after Carnegie Hall recital


Rudolf Firkusny was one of the most refined and gracious human beings I have ever met. As one critic once said, "He has the manners of a diplomat", and I certainly agreed. The times I spent with him were magical, and even though he didn't like teaching (and he told  me this) we had great lessons, and I really learned so much about music. He had no time for teaching technical "stuff", as he called it. He just wanted me to get to the core of the music."Always follow the composer's intentions."


In the spring of 2012 we found ourselves bound for Prague and Brno, his birthplace, where the big Festival took place .I taught some very talented pianists and had a wonderful time. I had the feeling that the Maestro was always looking over my shoulder. I was one of several pianists from different countries who came to teach. Pianist Carlo Grante from Italy became a great new friend, and I renewed my friendship with Sara Davis Buechner, one of the greatest pianists we have performing today. Other fine pianists came from Belgium, Austria, Japan, the USA  and Switzerland. I know how pleased Firkusny would have been to see so many of his former students (he finally relented and taught at Juilliard in later years) take part in such a gala in his honor. That week will live in my memory forever, as does the memory of my beloved teacher.